Building a world of
resilient communities.

MAIN LIST

 

U.S. Prods Japan To Quit Iran Oil For Libya

TEHRAN (MNA) -- The United States is pressuring Japan to invest in Libya's oil industry instead of a project to tap Iran's giant Azadegan oilfield that has provoked the wrath of Washington, a Bush administration official said, Reuters reported on Friday.

The United States, which has sanctions against U.S. companies doing business in Iran, has persistently expressed its disappointment that its close ally, resource-poor Japan, would invest in the Islamic Republic in a $2 billion project.

"We understand their energy needs. But there is no question that we are emphasizing that Libya is an alternative that is going to come online soon," the administration official, who asked not to be named, said.

The Japanese Embassy in Washington said it had no comment.

The administration official said Japan was sensitive to increasing U.S. concerns about Iran although it did not indicate it would withdraw from an oilfield which is about the size of Tokyo.

Azadegan's estimated 26 billion barrels of reserves is one of the world's largest untapped finds and one of Tehran's biggest international deals since the 1979 Islamic revolution. Japan signed on 18 February a landmark agreement with Iran to develop one of the world's largest oilfields in a move that could rekindle tensions with the U.S.

Japan signed a $2 billion deal with Tehran to jointly develop the massive Azadegan oilfield in southwestern Iran, which holds some of the largest oil reserves in the world.

A consortium of Japanese firms will hold a 75 percent stake in the project to develop the oilfield with estimated reserves of 26 billion barrels while a unit of Iran's state oil company, NIOC, will own the remaining 25 percent.

What do you think? Leave a comment below.

Sign up for regular Resilience bulletins direct to your email.

Take action!  

Find out more about Community Resilience. See our COMMUNITIES page
Start your own projects. See our RESOURCES page.
Help build resilience. DONATE NOW.

 

This is a community site and the discussion is moderated. The rules in brief: no personal abuse and no climate denial. Complete Guidelines.


Film Review: ‘Qu’est-ce qu’on attend?‘ (‘What are we waiting for?’)

In which we review ‘Qu’est-ce qu’on attend?‘, …

The Real Standing Rock Victory Is This: “Inevitable” Is Not What It Used to Be

The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe has defied history.

Who's afraid of a recount?

In a country where politicians and other civic leaders constantly tell us …

Decolonisation in Europe: Sámi Musician Sofia Jannok Points to Life beyond Colonialism

I was able to interview Sofia Jannok to explore the connection between her …

Where Citizens Can Run for Office Without Big Money—and Win

State representative Joyce McCreight never thought she would run for office.

The Beginning is Near: The Deep North, Evictions and Pipeline Deadlines

Standing Rock is an unpredicted history lesson for all of us.

Is America Ready for a Municipalist Movement?

The mass protests across the United States in response to Donald …