Building a world of
resilient communities.

MAIN LIST

 

24 Ways to Invest Locally - tips 9-12

It’s New Economy Week, and PCI Fellow Michael Shuman is sharing 24 Ways to Invest Locally. Each day this week, Post Carbon Institute is rolling out four ways you can—right now—begin to move your money from Wall Street to Main Street, and help build a vibrant, more resilient economy in your community.

These tools are elaborated in Local Dollars, Local Sense: How to Shift Your Money from Wall Street to Main Street and Achieve Real Prosperity, one of three Community Resilience Guides from Chelsea Green and Post Carbon Institute. Michael Shuman is currently leading all-day workshops on these ideas around North America.
 
All 24 Ways to Invest Locally are available as one post here. Be sure to check the Resources page for more ways to build community resilience, and the Groups page to connect with people in your area.
 
TIPS 9-12
 
(9)    Weave Investor Networks – The Local Investment Opportunities Network (LION) of Pt. Townsend brings together local investors and businesses each month to establish "preexisting relationships" that facilitate the circulation of business plans. New LIONs are spreading around the country. Unlike traditional angel-investor networks, where entrepreneurs present their business plans at periodic dinners, LIONs often involve unaccredited (non-wealthly) investors.
 
(10)    Harness Federal Programs – – Various national programs provide generous tax deductions for local investors who support anti-poverty initiatives through New Markets Tax Credits and provide other benefits to designated Community-Development Corporations (CDCs) and Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs). Make sure accredited investors and foundations in your region are fully aware of these opportunities, and encourage them to participate.
 
(11)    Promote Program Related Investments – – By law, foundations must give away at least 5% of their assets each year. The other 95% is typically invested in distant stocks and bonds. Work with your local foundations to help them move that 95% (or even just 1%) into local business (www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Private-Foundations/Program-Related-Investments. If these businesses are “program-related” and the investment does not succeed, the foundation can apply any losses to fulfill its annual grant-giving obligations.
 
(12)    Take Your Local Businesses Public – – Until recently, it has been very expensive to restructure a small business so that it could accept investment from the 99% of non-wealth people in your community who are "unaccredited." But thanks to "crowdfunding reforms" signed into law by President Obama earlier this year, new web sites like CuttingEdgeX bring down the costs of "going public" and allowing unaccredited investors to purchase as much as $2,000 of local stock. Encourage your local businesses and investors to take advantage of these sites. You might even start your own…
 
Check back every day this week for for more ways to invest in your local economy.
 

 

What do you think? Leave a comment below.

Sign up for regular Resilience bulletins direct to your email.

Take action!  

Find out more about Community Resilience. See our COMMUNITIES page
Start your own projects. See our RESOURCES page.
Help build resilience. DONATE NOW.

 

This is a community site and the discussion is moderated. The rules in brief: no personal abuse and no climate denial. Complete Guidelines.


The Great Deceleration

The 'Great Acceleration' of economic activity in the past 60 years has led …

New Zine Highlights the Solidarity Economy in St. Louis

It's hard to convey what the sharing movement is about without describing …

The Climate Crisis and Economic Policy Choices

A major issue in climate economics is whether it is possible to halt the …

Patterns of Commoning: Can Commoners Become Self-Aware of Their Collective Potential?

As the idea of patterns of commoning suggests, commons are not objects, but …

The Centre-Left’s Narrative on Climate Change has Convinced No One

The election of Donald Trump reflects the unraveling of the centre-left …

Money for Everybody

The Netherlands will kick off the year 2017 by launching an experiment with …

Portugal Announces World’s First Nationwide Participatory Budgeting Project

Participatory budgeting is becoming increasingly popular, with more than …