- Underdeveloped expertise and infrastructure for moving local food from the farm to the local consumer efficiently and cost-effectively.
- The daunting influx of inexpensive foods from distant places that overwhelm the nascent local food marketplace.
11. Patrick Canning, Ainsley Charles, Sonya Huang, Karen R. Polenske, and Arnold Waters, Energy Use in the U.S. Food System, Economic Research Report no. 94 (Washington, D.C.:USDA Economic Research Service, March 2010), 18.
13. For more information about the company and its sustainability efforts, visit the website of Veritable Vegetable at http://veritablevegetable.com/.
14. “Distribution Models for Local Food,” Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, January 2009, http://www.cias.wisc.edu/uncategorized/distribution-models-for-local-food/.
15. “About Us,” a history of FreeAire Refrigeration; http://freeaire.com/about-us/ (accessed October 2, 2012).