The September issue of the American Journal of Public Health is now available online featuring 8 studies and articles by an interdisciplinary set of experts, each examining the health risks posed by peak petroleum and what can be done to mitigate and protect against the onset of a major spike in energy prices.
The special issue features a study [PDF] that I conducted with co-authors Ed Maibach and Tony Leiserowitz examining how Americans view the risks associated with a major spike in oil prices. In a contrast to climate change, conservatives are the closest to experts in their risk perceptions while liberals tend to hold lower levels of concern. Our findings suggest that this issue might an important opening for engaging a broad spectrum of Americans on energy policy. I discussed the study and included supplementary graphs in a previous post. See also a news release from American University.
Below is the list of studies on peak petroleum from the current issue of the American Journal of Public Health.
- Brian S. Schwartz, Cindy L. Parker, Jeremy Hess, and Howard Frumkin
- Public Health and Medicine in an Age of Energy Scarcity: The Case of Petroleum Am J Public Health 2011 101: 1560-1567, 10.2105/AJPH.2010.205187. [Abstract] [Full Text] [PDF]
- Jeremy Hess, Daniel Bednarz, Jaeyong Bae, and Jessica Pierce
- Petroleum and Health Care: Evaluating and Managing Health Care’s Vulnerability to Petroleum Supply Shifts Am J Public Health 2011 101: 1568-1579, 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300233. [Abstract] [Full Text] [Figures Only] [PDF]
- Daniel J. Barnett, Cindy L. Parker, Virginia A. Caine, Mary McKee, Lillian M. Shirley,
- and Jonathan M. Links
- Petroleum Scarcity and Public Health: Considerations for Local Health Departments Am J Public Health 2011 101: 1580-1586, 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300126. [Abstract] [Full Text] [PDF]
- Roni A. Neff, Cindy L. Parker, Frederick L. Kirschenmann, Jennifer Tinch, and Robert S. Lawrence
- Peak Oil, Food Systems, and Public Health Am J Public Health 2011 101: 1587-1597, 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300123. [Abstract] [Full Text] [Figures Only] [PDF]
- Nikhil Kaza, Gerrit-Jan Knaap, Isolde Knaap, and Rebecca Lewis
- Peak Oil, Urban Form, and Public Health: Exploring the Connections Am J Public Health 2011 101: 1598-1606, 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300192. [Abstract] [Full Text] [Figures Only] [PDF]
- Peter Winch and Rebecca Stepnitz
- Peak Oil and Health in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: Impacts and Potential Responses Am J Public Health 2011 101: 1607-1614, 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300231. [Abstract] [Full Text] [Figures Only] [PDF]
- Michael T. Klare, Barry S. Levy, and Victor W. Sidel
- The Public Health Implications of Resource Wars Am J Public Health 2011 101: 1615-1619, 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300267. [Abstract] [Full Text] [PDF]